Friday, March 19, 2010

Wedding Invitation Wording

Every month is a busy month lately!

This one started out with invitation wording and now it has moved on to our Catholic engaged couples coucniling, food tasting and dance lessons!

So I never realized how difficult inviation wording can be! Thankfully we are able to use traditional wording on our invitation! Did you know that depending on where you get married, your wording is suppose to be different? I do mean to say "suppose to be" loosely becase at the end of the day, everyone decides to do what they want. But for example, Cole and I are getting married in a Chapel, or aka house of worship. Since we are doing that, our wording should include the phrase "request the honour of your presence" and if you are getting married out doors or in a hotel or reception hall, you should put anything but "request the honour of your presence" as it implies that you will be in a church or worship setting. (Although being only 25, I would have NEVER known that!) But I guess for the people who do notice that, its a good idea to alert people that its a church or church like setting dress appropriately.

I think most people know about the whole "if the brides parents are paying" they put their names first, and if both families are paying then you say "together with their families" or if the couple is paying you are suppose to say you names and then "invites you to etc..". I personally dont care about that because its no one's business in my opinion whos paying. So with that, I think go with that you like more!

Also in the body of the wording, if you are sticking to traditions, the brides name, should state only their first and middle name. If their last name differs from their parents name for some reason, they would put first, middle and last name. Then with the grooms name you would traditionally put "Mr. Coulston Paul Van Gundy" or modernly you can put Coulston Paul if his last name is the same as his parents. It really depends on the style. Cole and i are mixing the traditional with the modern since we are a little of both :)

(I like the wrap around label in this picture :) and belly band with a tag )

Lastly, this is usually not as noticed and i think its something newer. Its almost like a header or and intro to your invitation! i have seen a couple of them, but not to many. "together with their families" is one or "because you have shared in their lives" and then it would go into rest of the invitation. Im not going to share exactly what cole and I have decided on.... I have leave some of it as a suprise!!! :) Ill post pictures after they have been sent out and hopefully everyone has gotten them. But I am still 6.5 months away so I wont be sending them out for awhile :)

then there is packaging.... but thats a whole other moster to tackle...to be discussed after invites are made :)

1 comment:

  1. whoaaa, I had no idea about any of this! Way more complicated than I thought....

    ReplyDelete