Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving in Sacramento

Finally back on track in Seattle, kind of.




Cole, Courtney and myself (along with our dogs, yes we each have one) drove down to Sacramento for thanksgiving. Thankfully we were in Cole's truck so it was a little roomy. Nonetheless, the car stunk of dog when the trip was over. It took a good 13 hours, and very minimal stops. We are definitely getting used to this crazy drive! We didn’t encounter any snow or worrisome weather conditions. Well, except thick fog. We left at 5pm on Tuesdays and got to Sac at 6am on Wednesday. I convinced Cole it would be a great idea to get the Eclipse book on tape for entertainment. It was great :) We still haven’t finished it, but something about twilight makes me all excited!



We got home and all went to our separate homes. It was nice to see family, soon to be family :-), and friends. As some of you know, I get really nervous around Cole's family, but this trip was a really nice time, and really finally felt like myself. I look forward to my soon-to-be life as a Van Gundy.



My family is doing well too! Thanksgiving was great except 2 things.... well 3 things! 1. Sharon was in Asia. 2. Brody had surgery!!!! and 3 Auny was sick too!!!



Brody was acting completely normal on Wednesday until around 5pm when my mom came home. She frantically calls me around 8pm to tell me my dog has been throwing up about once and hour! I go straight home to see my mom scrubbing her pristine white carpet and Brody sitting next to her, with that guilty face. (his tail goes down and his face sags more, and he looks around like "where can I hide") He calms down and eats a little. I take him to my room to sleep. He moves around all night and finally, throws up again around 4am, and of course, eats it before I can grab a paper towel. I clean it up, and we go back to bed.




When the morning comes, he’s acting a little better but keeps stretching. I look up the symptoms online and it sounded like pancreatitis.(I can’t spell it) I got to the store to run errands for thanksgiving dinner. As I am at the store, I get a call from my brother saying "He has to go to the vet, I made an appointment, go to Alpine" and gives me the address. I head straight over there with pug in tow. We get there, and we're the only ones in the waiting room, and Brody proceeds to bark at every dog that goes by. We get called in and wait 30 min to get seen. Then another 30 to take the blood tests. then another hour to get the results. Then another 30 min to determine to get and x ray, 5 min to take the x ray, wait another 40 min for result, they need another x ray, 10 min, then 30 min to give us results again. Yes, this process took almost 4 hours!!!!



Turns out he ate a huge chunk of a nyla-bone and rope... from his toys and they got stuck in his stomach and esophagus. He was in recovery for some time. When we were finally able to get him home the next day, he was high as a kite! His eyes are normally big, but they were HUGE when we got home! Later that night we went to bed and on the floor of my room at my mom's house is a house phone with a little light on it. Brody has a cone on and didnt want to go to bed. SO he stared at the light the whole night, STANDING! weirdo


He calmed down a tad the next day


Saturday we got together with everyone as a casual engagement party. It was nice to see everyone and chat. We started at Crush 29, went to basic and then after party at Cole's mom's house. Needless to say, I went straight to bed! Everyone else was up till 5, and had no problems sleeping at 2am.

Oddly, in the almost 4 years in Seattle, I've never actually seen a fight, like a fist fight before. In roseville, on saturday, I saw my first one. It was terrible! It was outside of basic while we were waiting for Dusty to pick us up, 2 groups of guys decide to start fist fighting! My immediate reaction was for my jaw to drop, THEN start running towards them to stop it. I remember that I tried to run towards them, and Cole stopped me. I was so upset and dissappointed that there are actually people out there that believe that throwing your fists around is macho and a "good idea". At the time I remember thinking " If I can get over there, they will stop punching each other cause they wouldn't punch a girl". Im glad I didnt make it, cause they may have on accident. Anyways, my point is, that fight was so stupid; I'm glad I didnt get involved; and I love that fighting like that isn't Cole's style.

Well, we're finally home in Seattle, and its nice and cold. Im very excited for this month all the christmas festivities. Cole and I will actually be down in Sacramento again for christmas but for a longer stay this time. About a week and a half! Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment