Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Quick Update: more tests, gallblader, glucose test

Its definitely been awhile since my last post, and although it’s partially from my laziness, its also because I have been surprisingly busy!




So just to update, I went to a great baby shower thrown by my mother in law and two friends, Courtney and Lindsay at my MIL’s house in Granite Bay, Ca. It was a great day, but I will post about that another time.



Since then, I’ve slowly crawled into my third trimester officially, been taking birthing classes, toured the hospital we will be delivering in, gone to a bachelorette party, wedding and thrown a wedding shower! It’s been a fun an exciting month, nonetheless! Plus work has gotten extremely busy with my peak season starting, so sleeping and resting have become a huge apart of my daily schedule.



But the thing I most want to blog today about is my recent pregnancy related issue. Well, I believe its pregnancy related, but it could also just be “bad eating habit” related. I don’t remember if I mentioned this, but everyone kept saying to me “ you’re pregnant, you can eat what you want!”… this my friends… is so NOT true and I feel as though I’ve learned this the hard way. But, I am learning from my mistakes!



First of all, back in the end of April, I took my 1 hour glucose test. If you’re not familiar with the process, well this is how it goes. Depending on your doctor, they will tell you to fast for 12 hours or tell you to fast for 2. My doctor told me to fast for 2 hours, drink this small red drink and get my blood drawn within an hour of drinking it. (I have severe pregnancy brain, so I think this is how it all went). Well, the reason the drink was red, was because it was fruit punch flavored….. YUCK! I do like fruit punch, I don’t like it when its as sugary and syrupy as that was! Oh, and you have to drink it within a 5 min time period. So not only is it on a empty stomach, its gross and you feel like you want to vomit the whole time. Well, I did this got my blood drawn and to my surprise, I FAILED!



I was really upset and depressed about it. I felt like it could totally have been avoided by eating better and not indulging on every little craving I had! Well, since I failed, I had to go back and take the 3 hour glucose test. This was terrible. It’s similar to the 1 hour test, except, you fast for 12 hours, go get your blood drawn, then they make you drink the drink again(this time I got lemon lime, it was better), then get your blood drawn every hour for three hours. Yes, that means you got your blood drawn 4 times in 1 day. Which, if you’re anything like me, it mades you sick to think about. I was sooo lightheaded by the end of it, I had to take the rest of the day off of work, and you can bet I managed to sleep the whole day, and night.



These tests test for gestational diabetes. Well, thankfully, I passed my 3 hour test and don’t have gestational diabetes. Whew! Regardless, it was awake up call to eat better and be a better mom for my unborn child. Now, I’m not saying I have been a staint about what I eat, but I have definitely taken the idea of “eat whatever you want, whenever you want” out of my head.



Well, although the scare has helped me make better food choices, it hasn’t made my bad food choices completely disappear. Last week, I went to lunch and decided to enjoy a nice meal of chicken fingers and fries. They were tasty, but nothing amazing. I couldn’t even finish since the meal was so big. Later that night, after making dinner, my stomach was starting to feel a little off. But I assumed I was hungry, so I ate dinner, and the feeling still didn’t go away. It got worse.



Now, I actually tend to get stomach aches fairly often and know that when it’s a stomach ache, my whole belly aches. This time, it was only at the top of my belly (TMI warning), just under were my giant breasts now sit. The pain was always there but got worse in waves. So since at first I thought it was a stomach ache, I went to the bathroom and just sat there hoping something would happen, and I would feel better. Nope, nothing usual happened and I definitely wasn’t feeling better, then suddenly, I had to urge to vomit. Sometimes, when I have stomachs I also feel like I have to vomit, but I don’t actually vomit. Well, this time, I did and a lot.



Thankfully, someone had just explained to me what a contraction feels like and that your whole belly gets extremely hard. Well, my belly wasn’t hard so we knew it wasn’t a contraction(thank goodness!) So once the vomiting started, Cole called a 24 hour nurse hotline. They explained it was my gallbladder, and that I could be passing a gallstone. All I could think was “wow… didn’t read anything about my gall bladder in all those pregnancy books!” The nurse asked about what I had eaten and said the chicken finger and fries must have triggered it and that there was no medicine I could take to ease the pain since I was pregnant. The only thing I could do is wait it out, and eat better in the future. I was very upset to hear that. So I layed on my left side and did my best to quietly handle my pain since it was now 11pm and I knew both Cole and I had to work the next day.



I was so exhausted from the lack of food in my body and the pain I was going through, I quickly fell asleep, (while still noting the pain while sleeping). The pain did eventually go away and I was so relieved! It was unlike any stomach pain I had ever had and don’t want to risk going through it again. Again, if I had been better about eating, this may not have happened.



So I went to my OB yesterday (Monday) for my regular appointment, and told her about my episode. She told me there IS medicine I could have been given and if it were to happen again to go to the hospital so I can be treated. I was a little upset to hear that I didn’t need to be going through that pain, but glad to know I managed through it. But due to the issue, my doctor had me go and get an ultrasound done so that they can check my gallbladder.



I went this morning and the nice ultrasound tech also checked on the baby for me as well :) She’s doing good and at my request she also “double checked” the sex for me. The baby is STILL a girl! Haha She was moving like a maniac, kicking me during the session and was head down. I don’t know the results yet as far as my gallbladder goes, but hopefully I’ll know in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment